Tuesday, September 14, 2010

groceries & goodies

Yesterday was my meal planning/grocery shopping day.  I try to sit down every week and plan out dinners for that week.  I write them down on a dry/erase board that we have on the fridge then I add whatever ingredients we don't already have to the grocery list which i usually already have started.. also hanging on the fridge.  Doing things this way every week makes it SOO much easier.  You never have those nagging days where your thinking.." ughhh.. what am i going to make for dinner..".  You already have the list right in front of you and you can choose whatever meal sounds best for that night.  It also helps with the grocery bill...you stick to exactly what you need without throwing all those costly extras into your cart.  Having a grocery list constantly going also helps keep it at one grocery trip a week.. most of the time i never forget anything because whenever i realize we are going to need something i add it to that list.  This eliminates those extras random trips where you always go in buying more than you planned.
I love grocery shopping.. i know.. strange..but i do! Probably just because I love food in general so much.
Every once in a while I have exciting trips where I find organics that I have not seen before.  This week I found a few! Popcorn, american cheese and pumpkin!!  Not the healthiest trio.. but also not that worst.  Nolan LOVES popcorn.. and as a treat every once in a while we let him stay up a little later than usual to have a "popcorn & movie night".  So when searching down the popcorn isle this week .. I was pleasantly surprised to find Natures Promise organic popcorn!  The american cheese is the processed single wrapped cheese.  We are usually a deli-cheese family but when we became an organic family, american cheese was one of our favs that we had to give up because we could never find it organic.  So..for the past 7 months we have been provolone and swiss family... not that those cheeses aren't equally if not more tasty but they just don't do justice to a grilled cheese sandwich quite like american cheese does!  The pumpkin was an awesome find.. especially with autumn just around the corner!! Soo excited to get baking with that.


So.. really I couldn't wait to start baking with the pumpkin.  This morning I made the MOST delicious pumpkin muffins.  I used this recipe that I found on allrecipes and just made a few tweaks. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Addictive-Pumpkin-Muffins/Detail.aspx
I cut the entire recipe in half.  I really didn't want 36 muffins although now I'm thinking i could have just froze 1/2 of them.  I also cute the sugar down to a 1 1/4 cups.. and may try only 1 cup next time. I used half regular all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat to make them a little more nutritious.  Also to make everyone happy and to try out different ones.. I made 5 different assortments.  Plain pumpkin, cranberry pumpkin, raisin pumpkin, walnut pumpkin and cranberry walnut pumpkin.  They are all amazing.. but the cranberry walnut is definitely my favorite!!
The best part.. almost all of the ingredients.. thanks to my lil can of organic pumpkin ..can be organic!!



No comments:

Post a Comment