Friday, September 24, 2010

welcome fall.

Yesterday the boys and I celebrated the first official day of autumn with sushi, pumpkins and pesto.
I made the boys a fun little "sushi" lunch.  I found the idea in one of those big BJ's flyers that are sent out every season.  This one was back to school... so it had different lunch ideas..i cut a couple out that were cute and added them to my recipe box so I would remember to try them out.  I think the "sushi" was a hit.. considering Nolan scarfed most of his down before I had the chance to turn around and ask him if he liked it.
Mine was not quite as pretty as the picture... and I also think a set of chopsticks would have totally added to it(note to self- pick up a couple pair of extra chopsticks next time I go out for sushi). The recipe called for pumpernickel bread which gave it great coloring in the pic... i used whole wheat... but all you do is make a "sushi" roll with the bread, turkey, avocado and cream cheese.  Just a little something different to make a fun lunch.

After lunch, I told Nolan that if he took a good nap, he could wake up and paint his little pumpkin he got at the grocery store on Monday.  As soon as he woke up he ran down the stairs yelling "took a good rest mom..ready to paint".  This was our first painting experience.. but it actually went really well and he was really good and careful with everything.  His pumpkin is definitely a work of art!
                                      

For dinner, I made one of my favorite vegetarian meals.  Pea & Pesto Pasta. 
                                     
Such an easy dinner.  Just make up the pesto, cook pasta adding frozen peas in with the boiling pasta for the last few minutes, draining then mixing it all together.  Top with fresh grated parm.... yummmm!! So good!!
I love this pesto recipe and almost always use it.  I cant remember where I originally found it.. but I have changed a few things so I guess I can call it my own :)
Add the following ingredients to food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
3/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts ( i usually add these in after i scoop out a little for Liam)
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic ( you can always add more or less.. i usually like around 3)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil







1 comment: